I have been a fan of Ghostbusters since the movie came out. I’ve lost count on the number of times I have seen it in the theater. I bought the VHS, DVD, and BLU-RAYS when they each came out. I am currently playing the Ghostbusters video game on my Playstation. I made my own GB costume the fall of 1984, and a new one for comic conventions in 2015/6.
When I first heard years ago that there was a Ghostbusters 3 in the works, I was excited – to say the least. One of my childhood favorites would be coming back! And then I heard it was out of the hands of Dan Akroyd and Harold Ramis. I was a bit skeptical, but it IS the Ghostbusters. Everyone knows what the Ghostbusters is about and the fanbase is HUGE so there shouldn’t be anything to worry about – right? Then I heard the director was Paul Feig and I thought – It’s the guy who did Freaks and Geeks! He has to know the material. This is even getting better. Then I heard that it was going to be an all female cast. Initial reaction was – Why? Is there a reason for making an all female cast? It doesn’t need an all female cast – but there are a LOT of very talented female comedy actors. I will wait and see…
1. To turn (a computer’soperatingsystem)offandthen on again;restart. 2. To bringback(anearlierfilm or televisionshow),usuallywith a newcastandupdatedscript. n. 1. Theact or an instance of rebooting a computer’soperatingsystem. 2. A film or televisionshowthat is a remake of an earlierproduction,typicallywith a different or refreshedviewpoint.
I heard the dreaded “reboot”. Why not continue on the series? Have a legitimate sequel and a “passing of the torch” to a new crew? No – the filmmakers decided to go for a reboot where none of the Ghostbusters (1984) material existed. A brand new universe. This hurt a little as it made it feel as though the movies I loved weren’t valid, and that they were just going to pick the bits and pieces they wanted for the new movie. The original, its sequel, comics, cartoon, Legos, characters, etc all exist and are safe but I took it personally that it wasn’t “good enough” for them
Then the trailers started.
– 30 Years Ago, Four Scientists Saved New York. Winston wasn’t a scientist. And if this a reboot, why are you referencing the material that you wanted to distance yourself from?
– The firehouse. Again that’s a visual from the first movies that you didn’t want to use, don’t try and invoke familiarity by doing that.
– A New Team Will Answer The Call – makes me feel like this is a sequel – even though its NOT.
– Okay…are they retelling the orginal story, only switching genders? And why isn’t Leslie Jones a scientist? Well, we got our “blonde Egon” from the cartoon.
– The “new” ECTO-1 is a hearse? What the holy hell? No. Don’t use “ECTO”! Original content!
– Slimer! I know times have been tough for the last few years, but I’m sure you could have found work elsewhere.
– Ghosts possessing human bodies?
– Familiar jumpsuits and “proton packs”
– I really hope jokes are better and this is just a first swipe at a trailer.
– First impression. I am sad. They wanted a reboot, but the new movie seems to have enough visual similarities to the original, the ghosts look like they are out of a video game, the proton packs look like toys, and the jokes fell flat. Just watching the first trailer, it felt like the script was based off someone’s fan fiction.
TRAILER #2 (International Trailer)
– Four Friends – great they got a demotion.
– Introductions look cheesy.
– Why is Thor here?
– Stop licking the proton gun.
– It wasn’t a “race thing” or a “lady thing” is the audience after they saw the movie. They all jumped into Deloreans, when back in time and tried to stop the movie.
TRAILER #3 (US #2)
– No reference to “Four Friends/Scientists”
– Still shot of the firehouse – STOP IT
– Original theme playing in the background.
– Is Kevin the ‘Big Bad?” okay
– They got Roker?!
– “Mass Hysteria” – stop it
– Selfies with the ghost – okay, I kinda like that one.
TRAILER #4 (International Trailer #2)
– Little bit more of the same. Jokes are meh.
– Is that the new ghost trap? It’s the size of a barrel?!
TRAILER #5 (International Trailer #3)
– “We’re the Ghostbusters” No…no you’re not.
NEW Ghostbusters Theme – by Fall Out Boy & Missy Elliot
– Stop the planet, I want to get off. There’s no air? I’m okay with that.
Overall, I’m upset to what feels like the filmmakers went into my childhood toy chest, took out some of the toys and tried to make a movie. But when I ask if they’re playing with the toys, they look at me with a disgusted look like I had wronged them.
If I was going to reboot the Ghostbusters series (which there’s so way I would). I would:
– New Logo. If you want to distance yourself, make a new logo. It can be reminiscent, but don’t use the same logo. It makes it look like its a sequel and you don’t want that – that’s why you’re “rebooting” the series.
– Don’t make references to the previous movie(s). Original content. No “ECTO-1” that is now a white and red hearse. No more backpack proton packs. Stop showing me the firehouse – it just makes me want to compare this movie to the 1984 original – and that’s not making things better.
– Don’t call yourselves the Ghostbusters. If you’re really that clever of writers, you can make a variation or something “better”.
– Mix up the cast. Having an “all female Ghostbusters crew” is not a novel idea, it’s lazy.
And in the “real world”, just because someone doesn’t like the movie – don’t label them as a ‘misogynist’. The reason I’m not looking forward to this is NOT because of the all female-lead cast, but because of bad storytelling.
I am just glad that after this movie comes out and if it does poorly, it will go away. Maybe a “true” sequel will come along in a few years and we can forget this universe.
I am no stranger to living with anxiety and panic attacks.
It has been something I’ve had to deal with my entire life. I don’t know if it started out as a confidence issue, or if I was afraid of consequences, but I would always “hem and haw” and get nervous about things.
I remember when I was little and the movie “The Day After” came out. For those of you that haven’t seen it, it was about nuclear war. It was a tv movie shown on Sunday night on ABC in 1983. I lost countless nights worrying about a nuclear war after that – and still have nightmares. One day while in grade school, the teachers wanted to take a break from the students (and who wouldn’t – we were little goblins) and showed a documentary on Nostradamus (“The Man Who Saw Tomorrow“) – you know the one with Orson Wells, all bearded out. Of course, discussions of the a third world war came about. Yeah, nervous stomach, hampered breathing – the usual. I just recently got the nerves up again to watch it – still gave me chills.
Oh the panic attacks – how awesome are those? I love completely freaking out and having to get outside to walk around because the walls are closing in on you – or wanting to get outside to “drive” with no particular destination, A few years back, during an unemployment period, there was a few feet of snow on the ground, roads were closed, and I started overthinking. This compounded itself and soon I was shallow breathing, sweating, and walking around outside trying to get air. I couldn’t stop shaking and crying for some odd reason. In the functioning part of my brain, I thought “Oh, so this is how I’m going to go? I would have thought it was something a little more ironic…”
But that soon passed. It wasn’t too long afterwards that I went to see a doctor. I was tired. It took a few different attempts to get the right medications, but things are so much better now. I’m not tripping over words as much, I’m not walking around outside in the middle of the night, and I’m not crying for no good reason (Sarah Mclachlan pet videos not withstanding – seriously, why don’t the play those videos on large screens on the front lines of combat? If you’re not tearing up, you have no soul and should be taken out).
That’s all I have for today – I have to get back to work.
I’ve been following some creative people on Kickstarter lately.
At the most recent Fantasticon held in Toledo, Dirk Manning mentioned that he was putting out a Kickstarter for his long awaited Tales of Mr. Rhee book. Honestly, I had never heard of the book, nor the series – but he was a local creator (419 yo!) and I wanted to support him. I looked online and did a little research, signed up for his monthly newsletter, and am supporting his Kickstarter:
There are still 3 weeks to go (as of this morning) and he has doubled his initial quest.
This Saturday morning the sun was shining and there weren’t a lot of clouds in the sky. I met up with a group of about 12 other people and our intent was to walk the red trail at SideCut Park. It looks like they added a bike trail since we were here last and the red trail that used to go through the woods is a little more hidden. Well, we walked the bike trail to the other side of 23 and around the field, looping around and making our way back.
And back to walking the trails. It has been too long.
I joined a group of friends and walked the All-Purpose Brown trail today at Secor Park. Everything is in a shade of grey/brown and ice fills the waterways. There was little to no snow on the ground and was a brisk 50 degrees. The trails were a little wet, but when compared to last year’s conditions – marked improvement.
The Red Trail wasn’t too bad – the second set of boardwalks before you go under the bridge is gone and we had to 4WD it to the underpass, and we walked back along the river to see the cemetery. There are a lot of ongoing “corrections” being made to try and stop damage if there is an “ice situation” like earlier this year. But nature survives…
This is the last quarter of my one year Loot Crate subscription. These final three months will determine for me whether I go for another year subscription. This months… eh. The bright spot was the Q-Pop Batman figure. Really – an air freshener? A pointy batman multi-tool? It’s pointy. Do I really need a weapon when I go drinking? The book was okay – but I don’t know if is worth the $20.
Blue skies and warm weather. I had a small group with me today. We walked the red trail. It had been raining for the last few days and we were wondering if the trails would have been muddy. They weren’t too bad. Today’s menace – the mosquito. She and her swarm of followers wanted blood – and they took a lot of it from us. We tried to use bug spray as much as we could – various manufacturers and strengths. None of it worked.