Mead Batch #002
Mead Patch #002
It was a little over a year ago that I made my first batch of mead. And while that one has been sampled, most of it is still “aging”. Of course this means that it is time to make another batch!
I modified some things that I have learned with the first batch, but kept a lot of things the same.
– 12 pounds of clover honey
– 3 1/2 pounds of sweet cherry puree (obtained from Leeners in Northfield)
– Lalvin KI-V1116 (I chose this yeast strain because it is very tolerant of low nutrients and has an alcohol tolerance to 18%)
That’s it! So so simple. I cleaned the fermenter with a one-step sanitizer, boiled some water to heat up the cherry puree, and soaked the jug bottles of honey in hot water so that it would pour easier into the fermenter.
I used a 6 1/2 gallon fermenter. The thought was that I was going to be able to yield a little over 5 gallons once I siphon off the mead from the yeast bed in a few weeks during the racking process. I also wanted to create a very small amount of headspace in the fermenter for oxygen could enter and mess with things.
It took almost 2 hours from start to finish. I await now to see if the fermenter starts bubbling.