Random Thoughts > DVD
I have been a fan of Ghostbusters since the movie came out. I’ve lost count on the number of times I have seen it in the theater. I bought the VHS, DVD, and BLU-RAYS when they each came out. I am currently playing the Ghostbusters video game on my Playstation. I made my own GB costume the fall of 1984, and a new one for comic conventions in 2015/6.
When I first heard years ago that there was a Ghostbusters 3 in the works, I was excited – to say the least. One of my childhood favorites would be coming back! And then I heard it was out of the hands of Dan Akroyd and Harold Ramis. I was a bit skeptical, but it IS the Ghostbusters. Everyone knows what the Ghostbusters is about and the fanbase is HUGE so there shouldn’t be anything to worry about – right? Then I heard the director was Paul Feig and I thought – It’s the guy who did Freaks and Geeks! He has to know the material. This is even getting better. Then I heard that it was going to be an all female cast. Initial reaction was – Why? Is there a reason for making an all female cast? It doesn’t need an all female cast – but there are a LOT of very talented female comedy actors. I will wait and see…
re·boot (rē-bo͞ot′) tr.v. re·boot·ed, re·boot·ing, re·boots
1. To turn (a computer’s operating system) off and then on again; restart.
2. To bring back (an earlier film or television show), usually with a new cast and updated script.
1. The act or an instance of rebooting a computer’s operating system.
2. A film or television show that is a remake of an earlier production, typically with a different or refreshed viewpoint.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
I heard the dreaded “reboot”. Why not continue on the series? Have a legitimate sequel and a “passing of the torch” to a new crew? No – the filmmakers decided to go for a reboot where none of the Ghostbusters (1984) material existed. A brand new universe. This hurt a little as it made it feel as though the movies I loved weren’t valid, and that they were just going to pick the bits and pieces they wanted for the new movie. The original, its sequel, comics, cartoon, Legos, characters, etc all exist and are safe but I took it personally that it wasn’t “good enough” for them
Then the trailers started.
– 30 Years Ago, Four Scientists Saved New York. Winston wasn’t a scientist. And if this a reboot, why are you referencing the material that you wanted to distance yourself from?
– The firehouse. Again that’s a visual from the first movies that you didn’t want to use, don’t try and invoke familiarity by doing that.
– A New Team Will Answer The Call – makes me feel like this is a sequel – even though its NOT.
– Okay…are they retelling the orginal story, only switching genders? And why isn’t Leslie Jones a scientist? Well, we got our “blonde Egon” from the cartoon.
– The “new” ECTO-1 is a hearse? What the holy hell? No. Don’t use “ECTO”! Original content!
– Slimer! I know times have been tough for the last few years, but I’m sure you could have found work elsewhere.
– Ghosts possessing human bodies?
– Familiar jumpsuits and “proton packs”
– I really hope jokes are better and this is just a first swipe at a trailer.
– First impression. I am sad. They wanted a reboot, but the new movie seems to have enough visual similarities to the original, the ghosts look like they are out of a video game, the proton packs look like toys, and the jokes fell flat. Just watching the first trailer, it felt like the script was based off someone’s fan fiction.
TRAILER #2 (International Trailer)
– Four Friends – great they got a demotion.
– Introductions look cheesy.
– Why is Thor here?
– Stop licking the proton gun.
– It wasn’t a “race thing” or a “lady thing” is the audience after they saw the movie. They all jumped into Deloreans, when back in time and tried to stop the movie.
TRAILER #3 (US #2)
– No reference to “Four Friends/Scientists”
– Still shot of the firehouse – STOP IT
– Original theme playing in the background.
– Is Kevin the ‘Big Bad?” okay
– They got Roker?!
– “Mass Hysteria” – stop it
– Selfies with the ghost – okay, I kinda like that one.
TRAILER #4 (International Trailer #2)
– Little bit more of the same. Jokes are meh.
– Is that the new ghost trap? It’s the size of a barrel?!
TRAILER #5 (International Trailer #3)
– “We’re the Ghostbusters” No…no you’re not.
NEW Ghostbusters Theme – by Fall Out Boy & Missy Elliot
– Stop the planet, I want to get off. There’s no air? I’m okay with that.
Overall, I’m upset to what feels like the filmmakers went into my childhood toy chest, took out some of the toys and tried to make a movie. But when I ask if they’re playing with the toys, they look at me with a disgusted look like I had wronged them.
If I was going to reboot the Ghostbusters series (which there’s so way I would). I would:
– New Logo. If you want to distance yourself, make a new logo. It can be reminiscent, but don’t use the same logo. It makes it look like its a sequel and you don’t want that – that’s why you’re “rebooting” the series.
– Don’t make references to the previous movie(s). Original content. No “ECTO-1” that is now a white and red hearse. No more backpack proton packs. Stop showing me the firehouse – it just makes me want to compare this movie to the 1984 original – and that’s not making things better.
– Don’t call yourselves the Ghostbusters. If you’re really that clever of writers, you can make a variation or something “better”.
– Mix up the cast. Having an “all female Ghostbusters crew” is not a novel idea, it’s lazy.
And in the “real world”, just because someone doesn’t like the movie – don’t label them as a ‘misogynist’. The reason I’m not looking forward to this is NOT because of the all female-lead cast, but because of bad storytelling.
I am just glad that after this movie comes out and if it does poorly, it will go away. Maybe a “true” sequel will come along in a few years and we can forget this universe.