The picture to the left is my Jeep. I post the picture because for all reality, I haven’t seen it in three weeks. It has been in and out of the service garage that long.
I received a call on Friday that my car should be ready for pickup on Monday. I will pick it up on Saturday morning when I get home from Cleveland. Here’s a list (and timeline) of my journey:
1. The car overheated when I was driving home from Cleveland to Toledo on the turnpike. I made it to the exit and pulled into a parking lot. I called AAA and had it towed to Service Garage #1, AAA. I thought that maybe I popped a coolant hose (best case scenerio).
2. I found out that there was a bit more damage as the water pump was shot and that there may be damage to the pistons and valves (per AAA). I remembered that I had an extended warranty and had it towed to a Jeep dealership.
3. The dealership called and told me that the water pump needed to be replaced and that when the pump failed, the power steering was affected. The warranty company covered the water pump but I was responsible for the power steering. I asked if they checked the valves and to run a compression test to see that there was no issue with the engine. There was no other issues per the Service Garage. All “fixed” by end of day Monday.
(Car was at the Service Garage for 1st week)
4. I picked up the car Saturday morning and drove it home. I noticed it was running a little rough and was heating up quickly. Not thinking anything of it – I drove it around a bit. Monday morning I was leaving for work on the turnpike when the CHECK ENGINE light came on. I turned around and took it back 1st thing in the morning.
5. I dropped off the car and waited to see what the issue was. I couldn’t wait any longer and rented a car to get to work. (The red VW bug to the left) The garage called to tell me that the Catalytic Converter needs replacement and that there was warped engine components due to overheating. I asked why it wasn’t discovered when they had it for a week… They had to break the engine down to see how extensive the damage was and that an inspector from the warranty company was due to take a look at things. I continue to wait.
6. The garage called on Friday to tell me that the warranty company will cover the full costs of the engine repair. I would be responsible for the catalytic converter but the company would take care of the rest. They would also pay for six days of car rental. My car should be ready for pickup on Monday.
(Car was at the Service Garage for 2nd week)
7. Since I work out of town I needed to renew my rental on the VW bug for another week and I plan on picking up the Jeep on Saturday morning.
(Car expected to be at the Service garage for 3rd week)